Saturday, September 15, 2012

Four

For those who enjoyed my number series, sorry I haven't updated. Without further ado, here is Four!
--
I never really realized how many things come in fours. North, south, east, west -the cardinal directions. The elements in alchemy-- earth, fire, water, air. Spring, summer, winter, and fall are the four seasons. Also, there are the four basic states of matter: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. It also has some unique mathematical properties.  First of all, it's the smallest square of a prime and also the only even squared prime. It's also the smallest composite number. In Buddhism, there are four noble truths as well as four stages of enlightenment. In the Jewish celebration of Passover, there are the Four Questions to be asked, four cups of wine to drink, the Four Expressions of Redemption to be said, and a story of four sons. Some Chinese are also superstitious about the number four because it's pronunciation is very similar to that of "death." In the game Tetris (we have one at the bottom of this blog), each piece is made of four pieces, hence. In Veronica Roth's Divergent, the main character's instructor and love interest is nicknamed Four. In the English language, many swear words have four letters. The number doesn't represent the best of things in some cases but still comes up a lot.
--
I have no idea when Five will be posted.

7 comments:

  1. hahaha i dont like 4 cuz it sounds like death
    and i hate 14 u kno y
    and wen my mom told me about 4 and 14 i was like wow thanks mom ur so helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but Chinese people like eight and nine, I think.

      Delete
    2. cuz it sounds like going 2 die in chinese. duh!
      and chinese people like 8
      its a lucky number
      and its in my birthday so yay!
      im glad 4 isnt in my birthday

      Delete
    3. Are you sure? 14 doesn't sound like anything to me.

      Delete