Monday, December 24, 2012

Pirouline Packaging

My dad recently got a little tin of Pirouline cookies from some Secret Santa thing.

Yeah these things.

Anyway, as I ate one, I read the stuff on the packaging. (I read the packaging of just about everything I eat. The reason? I don't know... Maybe to check for funny typos or make sure the food isn't 90% genetically engineered or something?)

The first thing I noticed was the stuff written around the lid.
Now, I didn't notice any weirdness the first time I read it, but later, I was shocked by the sentence's technical "unclarity."
"Enjoy as a snack with coffee, tea, ice cream, after dinner drinks, family and friends."
See how the first four things listed and highlighted blue are food items? The other ones, in red, are probably humans, or at least living things.

If we omit the red part, we get "Enjoy as a snack with coffee, tea, ice cream, after dinner drinks." which means to eat them simultaneously or one after the other. For example, if I do as the lid suggests, I might take a bite of the Pirouline and then sip some tea, or I might put it on my ice cream and eat the ice cream and Pirouline at roughly the same time.
If we omit the blue part, we get "Enjoy as a snack with family and friends." which means, hopefully, to eat the Piroulines in the company of your family and friends.

You can't eat your friends and family or eat Piroulines in the company of a lot of food without looking insane. What a dilemma!

Second of all, there's a little icon on the side/back. There's a recycling symbol accompanied by the words "IT'S A CYLINDRICAL WORLD PLEASE RECYCLE." In case you didn't know, the world, at least the earth, is rather spherical. I'm thinking maybe since they call their Piroulines "cylindrical artisan rolled wafers" or something like that, they wanted to incorporate this idea into the "please recycle" statement.

Well, I'm off to eat another cylindrical artisan rolled wafer sealed with their signature swirl. I will let you guys know if I discover anything else interesting on the packaging.
(Any other interesting packaging tales are welcome down there in the comments.)

11 comments:

  1. wow...
    I read the packaging of things too. so remember that time at lunch when you were reading the school's cafeteria's chocolate milk box and it was reduced fat chocolate milk and you said it could actually be reduced FAT CHOCOLATE MILK. or something like that. or was it someone else last year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on a online game, and I had an argument with someone else. We argued over the sentence, "The stupid surfer's board is stupid,". The other person said that it implies that the board is stupid, while argued that either the board is stupid or that the surfer is stupid. I must say though,it is mostly like implying that the surfer is stupid, as the sentence would most likely have the "stupid" after the "surfer" to imply that the board is stupid. It's somewhat like a Schrödinger's cat, at least a little bit in retrospect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYyCHGWJq4
      This is gives pretty clear explanation, I think.

      Delete
    2. i have no clue what a sjdfsjhf whaever cat is
      if u mean Schrödinger's cat watch the youtube video

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. As I pointed out to you at Mathcounts practice, I put "rather spherical."

      Delete