Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Terrible Logic and More

A certain teacher of mine used horrendously poor logic today. I will not share his/her/its name as not to embarrass him/her/it (hence these pronouns).

Basically, he/she/it told us something like...
That insane murderer did well in school.
You are doing well in school.
You will become an insane murderer.
(Obviously, it wasn't that, but it was close-ish)
(There's more, but then it would be too obvious who the person is... I'm not trying to shame him/her/it.)

Then he/she/it became a dictator of sorts, instructing us on exactly how we should have interpreted the assignment we had just completed that tied in to his/her/its dreadfully wrong logic. After that, he/she/it stated that we should challenge those in power (like dictator-like figures) if we disagree. Disagreeing with both the adamant demand that we all see the same point in the assignment and the appallingly flawed logic, I was just about ready to go against the teacher. But then I realized I cared too much about doing well in school to spend time quarreling with people. Or maybe I just didn't care anymore.

Either way, my point is that I think everyone's perspective is shaped by past experiences and personality. To that teacher, just because your point of giving an assignment is "blah blah blah" does not mean everyone will think "blah blah blah" after doing it. Yeah, you should probably tell us why you assigned something, but no, you shouldn't insist there's only one or two "right" ways to look at it. Maybe my perception of your words was wrong, and if it was, I apologize.
But in all honesty,  I suppose I should thank you for having us do that activity and then saying what you said because I really feel like I now know where I stand (when it comes to some things at least) just from my reaction to all of it. Thanks.

Oh, and one last thing...
 



 EDIT: I have closed the comments. I have also edited the post a little. I think I may have over-exaggerated and showed too little of the other side in this story.

3 comments:

  1. I know who your talking about and I totally agree with you but he/she/it didn't really say it like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I didn't want to make it too obvious. I guess I might have gone a tad overboard with the exaggerations?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete