Saturday, September 7, 2013

What to Bring


"One of the world's tiresome questions is what object one would bring to a desert island, because people always answer 'a deck of cards" or 'Anna Karenina' when the obvious answer is 'a well-equipped boat and a crew to sail me off the island and back home where I can play all the card games and read all the Russian novels I want." -Lemony Snicket, Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid

Yesterday, in English/Reading class, we had a variant of this question. We were asked the three things we would take if we had to leave our homes. I, for one, generally have a hard time taking these questions seriously because they aren't really happening, what counts as a "thing" is never specified, and the exact circumstances are never given. GM, who happens to also be in that class, seems to have the same thoughts about this. I particularly like one of her answers, which was to bring some pepper spray and a baseball bat, presumably to injure whoever is trying to get her to leave home. Well, I also like her other answer of "a box of everything I own."






No comments:

Post a Comment