Saturday, March 8, 2014

Some Books

     Spring break is coming up soon for me, and one of the main things I want to do is to read.(Also sleep, work with my Arduino, make origami, and write a Mobius News post.)
Because I often like book recommendations, I thought I'd give you reader(s) some books that I have found interesting or think might be interesting but have not read yet.



1. Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by A Square


Apparently, this book involves a square experiencing different dimensions. If that doesn't sound like a weird and wonderful read, I don't know what does. I haven't read this one yet, though, so maybe it's actually not that awesome...

2. The Disappearing Spoon by Same Kean
The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements

If you ever thought chemistry to be boring, this book will probably maybe hopefully change that view. This collection of stories involving the elements is surprisingly fun to read but offers lots of fascinating information.
(By the way, there's a new, modern style cover for the paperback. I like this original one better, although this design is pretty cool too. You know what, I need to make a book cover post soon...)

3. Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid by Lemony Snicket
Horseradish

Oh, wow, this book is just the best advice book I've ever read. Okay, okay, I've probably only read two... but still! Basically, this is a short collection of little sayings by Snicket about various things that are somehow very true and serious while being humorous.

4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
The Fault in Our Stars

Short, short, summary that does not do the book justice: A teenager with cancer goes to a support group where she eventually meets and falls in love with another person.
While this book is may seem like only another love story, it's really more than that. I don't think I can say it's my favorite book ever to be written, but there are definitely lots of thought provoking things in this book. (I also like the cover!)
Book trailer

5. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Read the title. 
In general, this book was a fascinating argument for the value of introverts. It talks about the "Extrovert Ideal", psychology research, society's perception of introverts, successful introverts, and more. Pretty cool.
 --
I'll probably spend my weekend browsing Goodreads for more books to read over spring break, but if you care to, leave a suggestion or two for me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment