Monday, November 11, 2013

"Cuss Words"

I recently saw a comment that censored a "cuss word" using asterisks. Then I saw, in reply to that comment, a comment shaming the person for not being able to use the "cuss word."

It reminded me of NigaHiga's censorship video. (Go watch it if you haven't already. Even if you have, it's probably worth watching again.) What's the whole deal with "cuss words?" They are just sounds with meanings that are not nearly as bad as loathe or genocide, yet we use those freely because we need to use them to describe things. I suppose the main thing about cuss words it that they are considered an offensive way of conveying a message. (Personally, I find Chinese insults and Shakespearean insults much more interesting...) Or maybe it's a result of people's inability to be frank about some subjects, such as human body waste or reproduction.

Personally, I see no wrong in being uncomfortable possibly offending people, and I see no wrong in using the occasional "cuss word." We all will probably use at least one in our life times. However, purposely offending people is never a good thing, and it's important to respect others' opinions on language. There's no need to attack people because of minor vocabulary issues. If the grammar and spelling is correct, I'd be satisfied enough, especially since it's on the Internet.

UPDATE: Vsauce made a video that relates to this! Have a look...




2 comments:

  1. More like I'm trying to figure out why cussing even exists in the first place...
    In the post, I'm only saying there doesn't seem to be anything bad about using the occasional "cuss word" in a way that isn't meant to offend people/out of context. Language belongs to those who use it, even if I disagree with the way some people use it.
    And sometimes "cussing" is just a form of peaceful anger or pain management, you know?

    ReplyDelete