Monday, November 11, 2013

Robot Checks

Last Thursday and Friday, I spent a lot of time trying to get on the Why Not? team's shared Google account.
After trying many possible passwords, Google thought I was a robot and I had to do the robot check things.
  Robot checks anger me. They are supposed to check to see if you are a bot, but the system is flawed since they have gotten to a point where even I can't tell what text is in the picture.
I'm sure I'm not a robot. Maybe I'm a clone, but certainly not a robot.
If you people think that I could read those horrendously blurry pictures, then you are wrong. Typing is slowly replacing writing these days, so I have less experience in decoding messy handwriting than the last generation. However, the robot check pictures just get blurrier and messier.
I know that some blogs (cough, cough, C) have robot checks, but what is the point of them? Wouldn't it be interesting if a robot commented?
Even if it were spam, you could just delete it.

6 comments:

  1. Bots pretty much exclusively post advertisements for websites. I can generally read those pretty well, maybe because I have kind of terrible handwriting which you never read correctly. I doubt anyone makes bots that just spread happiness or whatever. I should really try that sometime. I should make a bot that says comments stuff like "Good morning!" or "Furry dragons are cute!" or "DFTBA!"

    By the way, I think some of those bot check things are used to decode old books, not to frustrate you. For example, Google's reCAPTCHA: http://www.google.com/recaptcha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the bot check things are "words" that are unpronounceable and not actual words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unpronounceable? It doesn't ask you to say anything out loud... What do you mean?

      Delete
    2. True... ReCAPTCHA at least has a purpose.

      Delete
  3. If you know the password and everything, would it really matter whether or not you're a robot?

    ReplyDelete