Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Mystery of Colds

  As you may not know, I currently have a cold . Because of this, I have been pondering a question that has bothered me for years about the origin of the disease.
  I know that some of you are going to say "Why don't you look it up?" The first reason is that viruses are too small to see with the unaided eye. The second reason for this is that I dislike looking up things unless they are about Pokemon. Researching things is one of the things that drives me crazy for no apparent reason. I prefer to think about things and come up with a plausible answer in my own words, instead of copying the answers of others. Because of this, I do not want you to answer the question for me.  (Next year's resolution: Limit the usage of the word "things")
  Many, if not most, people stubbornly cling to the belief that colds are caused by being cold and/or wet. The minority say it is caused by a number of different reasons, including the increased spread of viruses when people are all huddled at home around a space heater. Despite the wording of the first sentence in this paragraph, I find myself unsure of which side is correct. There seems to be an equal amount of supporting and disproving information for both sides.
  The main bit of information that supports the minority is that you do not get viral infection from being cold. Coldness does not make viruses spawn out of nowhere. Since winter is cold season, and the defining characteristic of winter is cool weather, it must have something to do with that. When it's cold, people are going to sit at home, crowding around their main heat source. At this close proximity, it is only a simple matter for the viruses to go a few feet and find a new person to infect. Sounds reasonable, right?
  And yet, you can't help but feel like colds would be the biggest coincidence ever if that were true. Colds only seem to happen right after you are cold or wet. You didn't put on a jacket this morning/ and or didn't sleep with a blanket last night this? BOOM! A cold! You made the mistake of swimming at this time of year? BOOM! A cold!
  Also, there is the absence of colds in summertime to consider. When it is summer, people are all huddled around their air conditioning and cooling fans (Fan joke). Why aren't we getting sick then? Cold viruses are around all year. We are at the same close proximity to each other at that time of year, too.
  Perhaps the answer is a combination of both. Perhaps neither is right. Maybe one of them is right. I'll just have to sit on the fence for this one.


3 comments:

  1. "BOOM! A cold!" may be my new favorite quote...
    Also, maybe low body temperatures cause people to have weaker immunity to whatever viruses cause colds. I haven't looked it up yet either, by the way.
    (You actually used two puns regarding my name in one post. I can't believe it, GM.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Not a fan joke, really. "I'll just have to sit on the fence for this one."

      Delete