Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Oh, Loveable Nerds!

 Alternately titled:  RF Attempts a Rant
--

So what's a nerd?



Weird isn't it?

Somehow, there's been this trend of "Nerds are lovable!"
Somewhat. At least it's a trend I've seen at the mall.

(read more)







Monster High <em>Girl's Love Nerds</em> T <em>Shirt</em> - Monster High








The idea is okay because...

Words of wisdom people! (I say this because I am an enthusiast for stuff, so I suppose I could be considered a nerd, which I take as a positive thing.But if I happened to have enthusiasm for celebrities, that would make me a totally typical person. Or a fangirl. Which, if you know me, is pretty ironic.) By the way, if you look at this GIF for too long you'll start to want to say "So much better" over and over again.


















But I don't like how they're presenting it, neither do I understand why this is happening. Maybe they are trying to promote the idea that you'll be loved by the general populatation, or at least people who are highly influenced by stuff they see, as soon as you become obssessed with learning things?

Why are nerds mostly portrayed the way they are?
Glasses? Tie? Pencil? Glasses? Glasses? GLASSES? (Well, thick black rimmed glasses are soemtimes called "nerd glasses" by my peers.) Sponge Bob? Cat?????
Especially the cat. Does that cat qualify as a nerd for having glasses, a tie, and a pencil? Or is the cat just an irrelevant picture?

And why are all nerds chucked into one big pile that is suddenly worth loving? Is the world trying to apologize for giving nerds negative stereotypes by sticking the phrase "I Love Nerds" on merchandise? Are my parents just dragging me to the only malls on earth with this trend? Have you ever seen "I Love Jocks" or "I Love Idiots" clothing items so widespread? Furthermore, why is most of it marketed towards females? It does seem that girls are more gullible and bandwagon-y than boys.

Again, maybe they're trying to promote the idea that being smart is awesome, which I completely agree with, but this making shirts with random characters with glasses is not the way to go!

Maybe I'm overreacting, probably not, but I really don't like this "lovable nerds" thing, possibly a trend but I don't have enough resources to prove that. If anyone knows how this started, tell me immediately.

Feel free to contradict me or just say something down there in the abyss for comments.

3 comments:

  1. say, where is musical mondays, rachel, you have skipped like 3 or 4 weeks of that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no good ideas. Plus, they take a long time to do. I'll try to put one up soon.

      Delete
    2. you better put one up on Monday!! about the two videos!

      Delete