Monday, April 15, 2013

Conflicting Views on Perfection

I'll now openly tell you that I often go on Google+ and Tumblr and people's blogs. Usually it's to see if someone awesome has posted anything awesome or if there's something interesting in one of the communities. Occasionally, it's because I am either bored or annoyed at the world, and I'm just looking for something to scoff at. Needless to say, I am not a perfect person.

However, I often come across really confusing messages that are supposed to be inspirational. Stuff like:
You are perfect and awesome just the way you are! Don't let those [insert curse word that is a plural noun here] get you down!

 Besides the colorful text that hurts my eyes, there are many problems with this....

How can one assume that only perfect people will read that?
How can one tell someone that he or she is flawless already if that person hasn't met the audience?
How can one encourage people with lies?
How can one be so certain that all readers do not need to change?
How can one possibly have the knowledge and authority to judge us?
Furthermore, what is perfection?
Why is it so prevalent now to encourage people? (Much more in later posts....)
But who am I to judge this?

Excuse me as I bash my head against an imaginary wall (because I am not stupid/courageous enough to headdesk....) and try to figure out stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment