Friday, May 10, 2013

An Unrealistic Story

Another find from Google+ Explore tab....




Yes, I agree, the inexplicable multiple periods, incorrect use of "nor," weird comma placement, verb tense inconsistency, and slightly confusing wording are pretty sad. Wait, that's not what you meant? You meant that the girl dying of cancer is very sad? Hmmm. I admit that death generally provokes a sad feeling, but I would feel a lot sadder if the story was realistic, and the girl did not base her love on whether or not her boyfriend could pass a "challenge".


--
Let's first try (in vain) to ignore the grammar issues and instead observe how unlikely it is that the boyfriend doesn't notice his girlfriend's cancer. At the moment, I cannot think of a cancer that doesn't negatively affect the person with cancer. I mean, if one has cancer, one should get oneself to the hospital for treatment! If you are the romantic partner of a person, you should probably be aware if your partner has a life threatening health problem! How did this guy not know his girlfriend has cancer? Did they avoid each other? Did they go to school in different places and not see each other often? Event then, doesn't the guy deserve to know the girl has cancer anyway? Wait, did the girl even know she had cancer?

Also, how did this guy go to his girlfriend? I mean, at that time, she's already in the coffin. The only way he could've gone to her is if he went to her coffin. The story implies he purposefully went to his girlfriend. Therefore, the only way he would've known to head straight towards the coffin would be if he knew she was in the coffin. Unless the girl regularly stays in a coffin, the guy would have to know that she's dead to go look for her in the coffin!

No offense Plenty of offense- that girl is a jerk. "If you leave me alone for 24 hours, I will pledge you eternal love which I don't even possess." That's basically what she asked her "boyfriend" to do. I mean, how much "jerkier" can you get without, like, licking some other person's face in front of him?

So....
My ridiculous explanation that makes the girl seem somewhat more humane than before: The girl got some kind of rare cancer that doesn't affect her outward appearance, her behavior, or any other easily observable aspect. This rare disease kills the victims in 24 hours. The desperate girl thinks about her "boyfriend" and then thinks about some random fairy tale. She comes up with this "challenge" she thinks is the most romantic and tragic thing ever, and the guy agrees. After a day the guy who can miraculously magically sense the whereabouts of "this girlfriend" goes to the coffin. When he sees her with the note, tears fall (supposedly from his eyes, although the story doesn't specify).

--
All in all, the story only made me feel a twinge of sadness, probably because I don't know the people in the story, and all the issues listed in the first paragraph. Am I heartless? Taken literally, no. Taken not literally, still no.

Still, even if I am heartless, at least I don't contract terminal diseases spontaneously and then tell someone that I will love him if he doesn't contact me for a day. Unlike someone...

No comments:

Post a Comment