Monday, May 6, 2013

Disappointing Encourgement

I saw this on Google+ and wanted to cry a little...

 


Because it's so terrible!

I know, I know. This is supposed to be boosting our egos by pointing at us and telling us we are wonderful, the prettiest, and female. Unfortunately, this just annoys me. Why?

  • Well, first of all, not everyone who reads the text in the picture is wonderful.
  • Secondly, not everyone who reads the text in the picture is the prettiest.
  • Also, not everyone who reads the text in the picture is female.
  • Lastly, in modern America, most people consider it rude to point, especially with a hand that seems to not be attached to an arm or anything at all.
  • (And other little things that I don't have time to write about... )

I think we all need to understand that not everyone is wonderful. I mean, sure, maybe all people are beautiful on the inside and have this natural born spark of awesomeness that glitters with rainbows and adorable, fluffy baby penguins or something, but I don't know if it's right to call everyone wonderful. It is possible that a drug addict or a bully or some kid who is skipping school is reading this. Are they wonderful? In my opinion, probably no, not at the moment... But do they suck? Are they hopeless cases? Are they complete idiots who don't matter? No! Just because you are not wonderful doesn't mean you are the worst living thing in existence. If you are not wonderful, it just means you have room to improve and suck less and generally be better.

Also, as a sidenote, it seems that most encouragement is directed at females. Just think about it. Have you ever seen an encouragement directed obviously at males? I wonder why... Is it a stereotype or is it true that girls are emotionally more insecure that boys? Oh, feminism, how annoying and intriguing art thou!

Anyway, prettiest implies the "most pretty." As far as I know, "prettiness" or "beauty" is usually an opinion. I'm sure you've heard people squabble over whether the shirtless celebrity in that random gossip magazine over there is "beautiful." How can someone you've never likely never met deem you pretty? Deem you the prettiest? Not everyone is pretty. I have seen people who's physical appearances were not appealing to me, and chances are that you have too.

The last point is self explanatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment